In 1958, Sports Illustrated reported a new area: Nub’s Nob, Cross Village: New area with 2 miles of trails, 1900′ Poma with a 450′ rise; lodge; restaurant; shop. Apparently this may not have actually happened, because:
In 1959, Sports Illustrated reported a new area: Nub’s Nob, Cross Village: Delayed almost a year by weather and construction problems, the area is now ready to open with a 1900′ double chair with a 450′ rise; 3 rope tows; 6 runs; and a 96-room lodge.
Yes, everyone knows “knob” is spelled with a “k”, but Nub’s Nob was named after Nub Sarns, who, with his wife Dorie, cleared the hillside in 1957 and opened the area in early 1958 with 3 slopes and a 65-seat chairlift. Day tickets were $5 and a season pass was $20, $50 for a family pass. Nub’s has a great chronological history on their website, listing slopes named for owners and employees, lifts installed and relocated, ownership changes, snowmaking innovations, the first “gladed” run in Michigan (the Southern Comfort Glade), and on and on.
The Midwest Ski Areas Association currently lists Nub’s as having 427′ of vertical drop, with 3 quad, 4 triple, and two double chairlifts, 1 surface tow, 53 slopes and trails, the longest 0.9 mi., 2 half-pipes and large terrain parks.