On Thursday, Dec. 11, 1958, The Republican-News and St. Ignace Enterprise mentioned that Bryce’s Hill near St. Ignace was listed among 69 ski areas in the state in the advertising feature ” Fun in the Snow in Michigan, Winter Wonderland.” On Thu., Mar. 16, 1961, the same paper reported that based upon practices held the previous weekend there would be many entrants in the slalom and downhill races for boys and girls to be the first ever held at Bryce’s Hill the following weekend.
On Feb. 3, 1966 and Jan. 4, 1968, The Cass City Chronicle published the AAA Michigan 1966 and 1968 Winter Sports Fun Guide. They each listed Brice’s Hill (sic) 5 mi. west of St. Ignace with one slope and one tow. The 1971 AAA Michigan Winter Sports Guide printed in The Owosso Argus-Press on Oct. 21, 1971 still listed Bryce’s Hill with one slope and one tow, with a warming house and lighting. However, on Apr. 6, 1972, The Republican-News and St. Ignace Enterprise bemoaned the lack of a ski hill for the just past (1971-72) season and reported that the City Manager was negotiating to relocate it to the Steele Farm, north of St. Ignace near Gamble’s Lake.
Apparently, Bryce’s Hill (or Brice’s Hill) failed to operate for the 1971-72 season and ceased operations with the 1970-71 season.
If you have any information about early lift-served skiing near St. Ignace, please post it or send it to us via the directions on the About MILSAP page.