Developed by legendary Canadian ski instructor Al Almon who had managed Otsego for three years before opening Ski Village in nearby Waters in 1948, Mt. Frederic was between Frederic and Waters and opened in 1955. In 1957, Almon closed Ski Village to concentrate on Mt. Frederic. In 1964, just after Christmas, some kids broke into the bar and a fire burned the lodge to the ground. Almon called it quits and became a ski manufacturers’ rep eventually going to Boyne to work in the ski shop for over 20 years.
In 1959, Sports Illustrated noted Mt. Fredrick (sic) in Fredric as a new area with 8 1,000-foot slopes; 3 1,000-foot T bars all with 200-foot drop; 5 rope tows; two-story clubhouse with snack bar and ski shop. On Feb. 10, 1961, The Ludington Daily News ski report listed Mt. Frederick (sic) with 4″ fresh snow on an 6 to 8″ base for excellent ski conditions.
On Jan. 4, 1968, The Cass City Chronicle printed the AAA Guide to Winter Sports Fun in Michigan which listed Mt. Frederick with 15 slopes, 3 T-Bars, 5 tows, x-c trails, snowmaking and night skiing.